Try right click.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pulling the plug on Greek

Well I started out the year with great expectations for Greek. We are using Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek Level 1.

Now I based my decision to go ahead with greek this year because so many people
have given great reviews. Most said they used it with younger children and it
is even designated for early elementary.

In fact, both children made 100 this morning on their first quiz. But I have seen several red flags with my youngest child, and see a struggle here. So here is my review of this product.

Basically the lessons are laid out so that you learn the letter and the sound.
Each day you sing along (the greek alphabet) with the song CD.) You review the flash cards. The flash cards are can be reproduced from the back of the book. But mine came separately.

In the workbook lessons are laid out as follows: 2 pages are for handwriting practice. Then there is another page for connecting the sound to words. Then another page is a review of previous letters and sounds.(If you plan to use the workbook with younger children, they should not still be using a program to help them in handwriting for the English alphabet. (This should already be mastered.)


When we first began the lessons, we were able to whiz through the lessons. The greek "a" looks like the English "a". )So no problem there.) Likewise the greek letter Beta is similar to our B and the sound is the same. Then we come to gamma, which does look unfamiliar, but sounds like our g. Delta is similar to our d (but written a little different.)
Even epsilon looks similar to our e and the sound is similar to a soft e.

But then the letters really start getting crazy zeta, eta, theta, iota. etc.
Zeta is wild looking, and eat resembles an English "n".
This is where things got confusing to my daughter. a letter looking like an "n" but sounds like a long a in the word lake.

And it keeps on going. Now don't get me wrong.

I think that it is a great beginner Greek course. I believe that some children in early elementary may be ready for this program if:

1. They have completed phonics.
2. They are very good readers.
3. They have no struggle with inverting letters or writing them backwards.
4. They have good handwriting skills and have mastered writing the English letters.

(I would only attempt this with a very advanced 1st or 2nd grader, in my opinion.)

I think for my 4th grade son-this program is great! But wrong right now for my 2nd grade daughter.

I don't want to teach something twice, so we will be putting it on the shelf for now.

The only problem I forsee is that we will need to refresh ourselves with the letters in the future, so I may have to order another work book. Since the first 30 or so pages have already been worked through.

I may teach it at a co-op in the future or just keep it until I think DD can handle it.