Try right click.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Story Writing Game

My friend Ami recently blogged about a great writing game she played with her son Elijah. My son is a very reluctant writer so I thought I would give it a try too. I was also happy to find that my library has the book she referenced. (Games for Writing by Peggy Kaye )

First, just to give you a background on my son. He HATES to write. (Anything actually.) I have tried tons of activities and he doesn't like any of them. He doesn't want to write because his hand hurts, he worries about spelling, etc. Now he does like to make up long, stories and narrate them. (But I quit writing for him after 1st grade. He is capable.)
Anyway, as Ami explains you take turns rolling the die and writing the number of words the dice indicates. He began the process.

First, I drug out his old Starfall journal. Since it was only partially completed I thought it would be the perfect thing to use. I allowed him to pick any story in the book that had not been completed. He chose Humpty Dumpty. (They give the title and the beggining sentence, then you fill in the rest. (I do also love that they have a word pool to choose from. I believe it really helped him by giving him words that he did not have to spell on his own, plus they are suggested words for the story line.)
Now he did try to end the story early a couple times, but I told him we were going to fill up all 3 pages. It took us about 20 minutes.
He wrote all his own words, I did help him a little with spelling.








Here is the story in type. Ds rolled a 6. He asked if he could do more than 6 (Of course I allowed him to.) Then I rolled a 2. and added my words and so on. (I tried to add words that would force the story on...


I put his words in black and mine in bold so you can see how we went on.



He broke apart and he was hurt. Just then, some men on horses came by with a bandage and an ambulance and they helped. First, they put a bandage on him. They took him to the doctor but, He could not help him. He suggested they should take him to the king. Unfortunately, he could not help him either, But just then he was healed as if by sudden magic. Humpty was really happy and he ate a huge sandwich with a toasted muffin. The people were really happy too. They shouted loudly. The End