Try right click.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Puppy Training


Well with a new puppy comes the responsibility of training it. Now it has been a while (8 years now) since we have had a baby in the house. Puppies and babies have many things in common.
And really, a puppy is more like having a toddler around, since they are so mobile.

1. They both need constant supervision. You cannot leave the room for a minute without a potty accident occuring or the pup automatically going for any cord it can find. It was chewing on one of the wooden bar stools earlier too.
2. This pup likes to be held alot, so I am fearing we are already spoiling this one forever.
3. She will chew and try to eat anything she finds on the floor or ground.
4. She isn't sleeping through the night, and when she gets up at 2 AM to go outside, she wants to
come back in and play.

But to make matters worse, I have to watch our older dog Buddy because he hasn't been thrilled with the transition. The pup must have thought Buddy might be his mom, because she immediately went for some milk parts. Now since he is a male dog, she managed to nip him, but not on a milk part. (KWIM)

Of course this made him snap at her. Buddy doesn't want to play and she does. So we try to accommodate that as much as possible. It has been harder on me, since I already have plenty do do and the pup needs so much attention. (I try to crate her a few times a day to get a break.)

But don't get me wrong, I am growing rather fond of our newest family member. I remember telling my dh that is would be a huge responsibility. (Now I am remembering whose it primarily is.) I told dd (when she first brought up the idea of wanting a puppy) that we needed to wait until we get rid of all our carpet. (Which now looks like it might be a couple years before we get it all done.)

So now I also have to make sure books, crayons, and many other things are out of reach for little teeth. (So I guess I will have to find time to re-organize the school room.)