Try right click.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

My newest hobby, sewing.

This semester at our Homeschool Co-Op, one of the moms volunteered her 
time to teach a basic sewing class. This purse was my first project. It is quilted squares.
 I used the Mary Englebright material with a red star pattern to compliment the red colors. 

You cut out the material in 5 inch squares and put a 4" square of batting in between.
Then you sew a criss cross.

The purse is also reversible. This is the smooth side of the purse.


Another closer view of the smooth side.

This is the frayed side look. You clip the edges of each square to give a rag quilt look.
I haven't decided how I am going to close it yet. I may put in a snap or
just leave it open. It does not have pockets, so I have to have smaller zipper
type bags inside to store personal items like chapstick, gum etc.


Another view of the frayed edge side.


All in all I am very happy with my first sewing project. It actually took about 8 hours 
from start to finish. Cutting the material took a couple hours.
Then pinning and sewing each square. Then you sew the squares together and then 
make the straps.

If I had to do it again, I would use a little thicker batting because it really does not 
look as quilted as I would like for it to look.

But I think that I will be inspired to make a small quilt someday.
And maybe some more purses for gifts in the future.