Try right click.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Midwest Homeschool Convention

cincinnati-exhibit-hall

A couple weeks ago I was able to attend the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, OH.
So I thought I would share some of it with you.  First of all I was really excited to be able to go.

I have only been to one other homeschool convention and that was in Knoxville Tn. I went the June before my son entered 1st grade. Which was in 2006. I'm one of those future planners that pretty much had my curriculum choices made out for the whole 18 years. Well at least through Jr. High. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do etc. Then I actually got a chance to look and touch, and ask questions about curriculum up close. I must admit, after seeing so many different curriculum choices you really start wondering if you have chosen the best curriculum for your child etc.

So I decided on a few things, and pretty much stuck with Five In a Row (Which we had begun in Kindergarten.) Then I began to build my own unit studies around other literature books. (But I loved the FIAR concept, of pulling all subjects out of one book or out of several related themed books.) Since that convention, I have tried several different things, some working better than others.

So back to the Midwest Convention. It was really different. First of all, this was the first time I ever left both children over night with my husband. Can you believe that? My oldest is 10 and my husband has never had both kids overnight by himself. (Someone is really spoiled!)  But I was really okay with the much needed break.

I went along with two girl friends, we left Thursday evening and drove up. We had plans to meet for dinner with some other ladies from the HomeschoolShare Forum. (People I have only known online for the past 5 years.) Ami, Celia, Edweena and Marcy. I really enjoyed getting to eat out and have some girl chat time during the couple days we were up there.

It was great to finally get to meet them in person. I wish we would have had more time to really connect in a way that wasn't so rushed. (And I have to admit that most of the weekend felt pretty rushed.) And I am a pretty laid back type of person. There were sessions with speakers on a variety of subjects. ( I hit the ones I felt were most pertinent to my situation and what I needed to hear at the time.) I am one of those people that needs the speaker when I am ready to hear it.(When I am looking for the answers.)

One thing that was pretty overwhelming was the number of people. (I am not a crowd person at all.)
I don't even go to WalMart on Saturday's because it is too crowded. So that really went against my comfort level. After a day I was really ready to head back home though. I heard all the speakers I wanted to hear on Friday.On Saturday I went ahead and sat in on another session. A very crowded session at that, but it was really good. It was called Creatures that Defy Evolution. I really liked what I saw and heard. I will probably get the cd set next year.

Creatures-I-3D.jpg

I also had a great time at the Tim Hawkins event. Tim had us holding our sides in laughter.

 It was nice to get away for a few days. I'm glad to be back home now, and also glad I found some of the answers and direction I was looking for.