Try right click.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spiritual Warfare-Hand to Hand Combat

The Believer's Guide to Spiritual Warfare: Wising Up to Satan's Influence in Your World [Book]

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is the latest book I am reading. I was really happy to read this part today.

The parts with quotes and italics are from the book. The un-italicized additions are my thoughts about that.

"When it comes to spiritual warfare most Christians are not concerned about the cosmic, but the hassles of daily life."  Okay I know that is where I am.

"We are concerned with issues related to our own spiritual survival, protection for our children and finding God's power to deal with the needs and bondages of those around us." How do I pray for for a child hooked on drugs? Do my prayers move God's hand in spiritual warfare? 

Yep these are things I want to know. What is effective, what isn't.

He goes on to discuss the things we will learn during this book.

"What we need are the how-to's of hand to hand combat: how to discern and deal with personal oppression; how to pray effectively for our families; how to sort out the demonic from the emotional, psychological and physical problems; how to release greater spiritual power in the face of evil; how to know when evil forces tamper with family life; with significant relationships, church life; ministry assignments; misdirected priorities and devotional life. This dimension of kingdom life is not relegated to lone rangers working in para-church ministries. Resisting evil is a central aspect of gospel ministry for every believer and is intended to be practiced within the protective authority of the local church.

Well this is good news indeed. Demons aren't hiding behind every corner. Discernment is key in determining how we look at a problem, and allowing God to show us the truth in a situation. It is nice to know that every believer can have this discernment-this is not something reserved for just the apostle type Christians.

I am looking forward to God showing me many things during this study. Things that will make a difference in the life of my family, church, friendships and community,and even my nation.