Try right click.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Musing Mondays

Matthew 11
Jesus and John the Baptist
1 After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee.[a]

2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[b] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

As I quickly glanced at Facebook posts this morning, this thought came to me. (The story of John the Baptist.) We know he was a great man, Jesus loved him dearly. In fact in this passage, Jesus goes on to say that among those born of women there is none greater than John the Baptist.

John, here is  imprisoned, he is about to be beheaded. Herod’s step daughter has requested (as her reward for dancing), John’s head on a platter. (Gruesome.)

John, begins to doubt, he begins to stumble. (I can only imagine his thoughts,) If you are the one, you have the power, yet you won’t free me? Surely, if you were the Messiah, you would not let me suffer this. (I have my own theology-about how the Christ should act. ( He doesn’t think this out loud, but it is a subconscious thought.) Are you really the one? Have I been mistaken? Should we look for another?  Where is the God that acts like I think he should?

John stumbles, Jesus says “blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.” 

It isn’t easy, when we suffer trials. I remember going through some trials years ago, wondering why.

  Why, do I have to suffer? Lord, you have the power to heal me, you have the power to change this. Why do I have to go down this road?”  I wish today I could tell you I now know why, but I don’t. I just know that as I went down that road –He was with me. He loved me every step of the way. I can’t even say that I think the trial really strengthened me, or even brought me closer to God. I do know that no matter what, He is God, and he loves me dearly. (No matter what I see-what circumstance may arise, no matter what feelings I have, His love for me is unchangeable.)

“Sometimes he calms the storm, other times he calms his child”. (I love this chorus of this song.)

May we be blessed today-and not stumble.