Try right click.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Discerning the Voice of God

I just have to share how excited I am about this new Bible study I get to participate in this year. I have never been able to participate in morning Bible studies before-because we homeschool. In the mornings, I am usually in the middle of helping one child with Pre-Algebra and another with fractions.

This year, things worked out different. We began a new co-op and the kids go at 9:00 AM. I drop them and then get to go to the study. Then I return to the co-op in the afternoon to work my required hour. (It really works out well and I am really thankful for it.) It has taken a lot of pressure off of me this year, in helping the kids get the subjects and teaching they need!

Anyway, we are using Phyllis Shriver's Bible study. "Discerning the Voice of God." This week we went through the intro part. First, we see in the scripture that Jesus says "My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me."  This statement-doesn't say he only speaks to some, he only speaks to the leaders. It says His sheep (his people, that are called by His name) hear his voice, He knows them, and they follow Him. So as I got through this study I really hope to learn to discern the different ways God is speaking to me. Listening to God takes practice, and I want to fine tune my ability and also approach God with expectation that He will speak to me.


 


We were given a sheet and we looked up and wrote down different times, and persons God spoke to, and how He spoke to them. I guess I just never sat down and thought about all the different ways God choses to speak to us. So I will list some that came to my mind here.

God Speaks in Various Ways

God's Audible Voice
Saul on the road to Damascus, Samuel as a boy called by the Lord, At Jesus Baptism, Moses at the Burning Bush, Moses at Mt. Sinai, through a donkey-Baalam, through the prophets to the people, Jesus in the Flesh on earth, Noah

Visual
The burning bush, The transfiguration, The baptism of Jesus (he sent a dove), the rainbow, the cross,
parting the red sea, wilderness provision, alter of Baal with Elijah.

Visions/Dreams
This one is really used a lot in the old testament, and we see those that follow God receiving visions, and also interpreting visions of those that God uses-even though they aren't actually following God.
King Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel Joseph, John on the Island of Patmos, Paul, Peter, Mary's fiancé -Joseph. Stephen when he was being stoned.

Through the Holy Spirit
Peter Acts 10:19, Paul, Phillip told by the Spirit to baptize the Eunuch. (This is one where I really need to study and find more.)


Unpredictable Past Changes/Circumstances
Jonah, Saul, Joseph in the Well   (I need to look into this one more too.)

I also want to make a list of the different ways God has spoken to me in the past. I think that will be helpful.


So anyway, how does God speak to you? Does He use one method more than others?