Try right click.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

God Speaks in Many Ways

In my first post "Discerning the Voice of God." I listed some ways God speaks to us. As I have continued studying on this topic I have found other ways that God speaks to us.

I mentioned past changes/circumstance in my last post. Another example I came across was in Egypt. God spoke to the Pharoah-through Moses. Moses was his mouthpiece. But the Pharoah would not listen. So God used circumstances to get Pharoahs attention. So many times, circumstances are used to gain our attention-so we will draw near to him-so He can speak to us.

God speaks through Prayer and fasting- We see examples in scripture where God spoke to people while they were in a state of prayer and fasting. Praying and fasting-sets our flesh down, and many times it helps us hear more clearly. Here we see an example in scripture-In fact the ministry of Paul started after a period of fasting and praying.  “While they were worshipping and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set a part for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them, So after they fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off,”  (Acts 13:2-3). 

God speaks through Nature and His Creation-
The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above[a] proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words,
    whose voice is not heard.
Their voice[b] goes out through all the earth,
    and their words to the end of the world.


Now even though we realize this isn't literal-The heavens speak in revelation-we cannot literally hear the Heavens above speak to us. But nonetheless-God can speak to our minds through revelation-and it doesn't have to be audible. There are many times that God has shown me something. Maybe I looked at something a certain way-and then God gave me a new revelation in how to see something. Or I was able to see his hand in the matter. This happens a lot when I look back at a situation I can see clearly how God moved. But when I am looking forward I have to walk in faith and trust God.

God speaks through Music. This is probably a big one for me too. Lyrics, often speak to me. It is probably because when I hear something over and over the words get into my spirit. As I sing along, and listen then words get in my soul, and I meditate on them. God speaks to me through movies, through songs, and through his word.

God speaks through his word. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
As I have meditated on God's word in the past, he has revealed things to me about himself, and about my life.

God speaks through other believers.
Listening to parents-elder Christians-Proverbs 1:8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.


Psalm 73:30 The godly offer good counsel; they know what is right from wrong. 31 They fill their hearts with God's law, so they will never slip from his path.

Listening to our pastors and the teaching of the word. So many times I go to church, and hear the pastor speak and God uses that to show me things. I remember being very staunch about something I believed and one day in service as the pastor preached, I had a paradigm shift. That which I previously believe-suddenly changed. I left that day-with a changed mind on that subject.  It is wild how 10 people can walk out of the same service but all hear something different, special and unique from that same message. Why, because we are all so unique and we are all different parts of the body, and we have different functions.

I really have to say, that the more I study this, the more excited I have become. I think so many times I think God isn't speaking to me, but when you look at all the ways he does speak to us, just because we aren't hearing an audible word-or maybe even the quiet whisper in our inner spirits daily, God can and will speak to us-if we approach Him in expectation. Expect God to speak to you today, I know I am!